Thursday, November 6, 2014

Greetings from Victoria!

I'm currently in Victoria, BC at the Empress Hotel-- and yes! I am actually staying here. I saw this hotel for the first time in November, 1976, and although my dear husband was horrified by the fact that we saw a bunch of elderly people asleep in the lobby (or possibly dead. It was hard to be sure!), I have wanted to stay here ever since I got a glimpse of the beautiful interiors.

And here I am!

I'm here in Victoria for the Western Literature Association conference, and just this afternoon did my first public reading from my novel " A Continuous Present." I was part of a panel who all shared readings--three of us from novels (one guy actually had his book in hand!), and one from a wonderful book of poetry about her Polish Mennonite family. It was such a great group!

I had a wonderful audience, who actually laughed when I was funny, and was so responsive to the reading. It was a fabulous experience. Several people told me how much they enjoyed the reading-- and clearly I was channeling my childhood storytelling mentor, Carol Jackson, because I was assured I had a wonderful storytelling voice. I do know Carol was on my mind all day as I was practicing the reading!

Now that the presentation is over I can relax and enjoy the rest of the conference. There are several panels on eco-criticism tomorrow, and since I am revising a paper on the topic in hopes of sending it to a journal, I can't wait to hear what they have to say.

But, as I sit here now typing this blogpost, all I can think of is my book. I can't wait to get revisions finished, find a willing publisher and do more readings like today's.

That was so much fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment