Friday, May 29, 2015

Paperback Writer?


A member of my Masters program cohort put this video section together--and graciously gave me permission to share it here (Thanks, Tom!)--as a sample of one he hopes to create for our hooding ceremony coming up on June 10th, with segments like this one for each member of our graduating class. The quotes contained in the video are from my novel and Master's project defense, and the music? Well, for anyone who knows me, it's entirely self-explanatory!

I have to admit that, although I've been finished with my program since December and had my diploma hanging on my wall since March, I am really excited about my upcoming hooding ceremony. I've asked one of my committee members to do my actual hooding--the lovely and talented Nicole Blair--my good friend and favorite professor from whom I never took a class! She has been with me on this project from the very beginning, my staunchest supporter even before I had an inkling what I would end up doing with it. I can't imagine anyone I'd rather have bestow this amazing honor on me!

And then there's the novel--my heart on the page--that has taken up so much of my time and thought for the last year and a half. I can't believe it's finally practically finished (is any writer's work every really done?). But I know I have to let it go soon because of a growing awareness that another story idea is springing up to take its place--and it's one I'm really excited about. I'm still in the early stages, but firmly involved in the "what if" game, and madly scribbling notes wherever I go. I love new ideas and fresh beginnings if for no other reason that they help me to stop obsessing over the old ones!

So, old story winding down. New story springing up? Maybe someday I really will be a paperback writer?

No comments:

Post a Comment