Sunday, November 9, 2014

Thoughts about piracy (or maybe it's plagiarism)

Tuesday evening, just before I left for the WLA conference, I got a Facebook message from one of my former teachers at TCC. I hadn't heard from her for a while, so I was thrilled to get her message. She was undoubtedly one of my greatest inspirations during my first quarter back in college after a VERY long absence. She is also one of the biggest reasons I felt like I could actually write AND that I want to teach others how to write.

I really love this woman!

But her message was both flattering and confusing. She was congratulating me on getting one of the first essays that I wrote for her class published in a major college English textbook (I don't want to say the name just yet). At first, I had no idea what she was talking about. If I'd been published somewhere, wouldn't I know it? But in spite of my confusion, I was pleased. I'd worked hard on that thing--and doesn't every writer dream  about seeing their words in print? (I certainly do! It's such a validation of your work)

However, after getting home from Victoria last night and getting a first look at the essay and accompanying article in the book, I found myself first  a bit creeped out by the information included in the introduction and bio materials. Then I was irritated--how could they do this? Then, after working really hard to find contact information (beyond a website and mailing address) for the person in charge of "Rights and Permissions," I came across an online form provided as an anti-piracy measure. It was offered to anyone who found a place (either in print or online) where materials that belong to the publisher were published without citation or permission.

Then I got mad.

This company, who is clearly concerned about protecting their intellectual property, somehow took mine and published it without my permission?

Now, since I haven't actually spoken to them yet (they are not making contacting them easy--plus it's a weekend!), I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's possible that someone passing themselves off as me did this. Revised as they said I did (I haven't done a side-by-side comparison yet), gathered information about me from the internet, and submitted it in my name--but to what end? What is the point of publishing my stuff behind my back--and in my name? There was a suggestion it could have been for money (and I guess that is the most likely reason), but how would doing it in my name get them anything? How would they cash a check?

Do I have more to worry about than just plagiarism?

Anyway, I've filled out the online anti-piracy form, written a letter to the Director of Rights and Permissions, and once it's mailed in the morning I'll sit back to wait.

When (if?) they answer, I'll let you know what they have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment