Monday, January 19, 2015

Death of a Computer

That which I feared has come upon me...

Yes, my well-used trusty computer--the one that got me through college and grad school--died this week. I started to worry about it a few months ago when it would sometimes seem to struggle with rebooting after resets. But it always came back on--eventually.

Until Wednesday.

I spent several days trying to cajole it back to life, but ultimately failing miserably. I did manage a few error messages, asking me to try rebooting it, but mostly I was just faced with a black screen--and the knowledge that my updated query letter and most recent draft of my novel were now lost to me forever.

Luckily, all of my pictures are in a cloud somewhere, and therefore safe. And I bought a tiny laptop last spring to accompany me on my travels (and "just in case"), so I am not without a computer. I even managed to track down a draft of my novel dated 12/22, so all that is missing is a "revisioning" of a problematic chapter (which still exists in its original problematic state), and some minor revisions in various places (which I'm hoping to be able to recreate). I have myriad drafts--some dating back to last spring--saved in Dropbox and Google Drive. Just not the latest one :(

So, lesson learned--and it's nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

Still...ALWAYS back up. ALWAYS save in multiple spots. And if you aren't sure whether you did or not...

Do it again!

So, back to work, I guess--but in the meantime, I'm shopping for a new computer.


http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/computer-virus-rev-1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment