Monday, June 23, 2014

Getting Started

I got home last night from a research symposium at Mount Saint Mary College in Los Angeles where I presented my Master's project to a group of graduate students. The presentation went well, and I got some great feedback from both my professor (who told me that my presentation encompassed my project defense quite thoroughly. I only need to remember what I said so that I can write it all down!) and several of the students presenters. I also had a wonderful conversation with a student presenter from Simon Fraser University who is working on a project similar to mine in that she is also writing a novella that deals with a (fictional) diary. Although her take on diaries is very different from mine--as is her focus--it was such fun to compare notes, and we are hoping to form a writing group this year, even if it must be by email. I came home energized and excited to begin the writing.

Now technically, I began to work on the book a few months ago. I have two short stories completed that will become chapters in the larger work. I have sections done here and there that lead into other chapters, as well as a prologue that will introduce the first chapter. And I have pages and pages of notes, outlining just what will happen, when and how. But today, I started writing that very first chapter, introducing my main character and letting the reader discover a bit about who she is and giving a first glimpse of her situation in life. I'm about three pages into it, and although I feel like I'm on a roll, it is getting late--and I am not a night owl.

Its time both the book and I get some sleep. I think we'll both be better for it in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment