Sunday, March 30, 2014

I'm not really AWOL, just busy!

I'm headed back to class tomorrow, ready to begin the second half of my Master's program. Sounds pretty ambitious since it's just my third quarter, but since I've planned all along to finish in four quarters that means I'm now half way through. I can hardly believe it!

I spent most of my time during spring break fighting some sort of sore throat and filling out research grant and scholarship applications, writing proposals and personal statements, and even reading a book or two in my quest to understand the inner workings of metafiction. But mostly I've been getting really excited over a trip I hope to take this summer in an effort to "connect with" the life, geography and history of the subject of my Master's project--and my own.

My subject--Emily Hawley Gillespie--was born in Michigan in 1838, and kept a diary from her 20th birthday until the day of her death thirty years later. She moved to Iowa at 22, and lived there for the rest of her life. I was also born in Michigan, and although I have never (to my knowledge) been to Iowa, a great deal of my family history marches through that part of the country, whether Iowa or its near-neighbor Nebraska where my grandparents--and their grandparents--are buried. My mother was born in Des Moines, and although I am unclear on some of the details right now, I believe that my maternal grandmother's family lived in Council Bluffs for a time. (My Aunt Gini will hopefully come to my rescue with the details soon). At any rate, suffice it to say there is a personal connection.

However, my excitement grows from an idea that has sprung up over these last few days:
If I should happen to win one or more of the research grants, I will travel to Iowa to see Emily Gillespie's actual diary manuscript--and turn it into a road trip through the Midwest, taking in the sights of Emily's past, as well as my own.

But the best part is that I hope to bring along a research assistant--my sister Kathie! How amazing would it be to go back to a place that holds 1/2 of our family history, and to do it together? I feel as if my project concerning diary and the language of self-identity has just taken a turn for the amazing.

(And the June 1st decision of the Iowa State Historical Society can't get here quickly enough for me!)



No comments:

Post a Comment